2014 Research Commercialisation Awards
Our Major Sponsor
The inaugural 2014 Research Commercialisation Awards are kindly supported by Wrays. KCA would like to thank Wrays for their continued support year after year. We are grateful for all of their assistance.
What are the Awards?
Have you closed an amazing deal in the last 12 months? Or has your organisation pulled off a creative engagement strategy in the last 18 months? The sector wants to hear about it. Share your achievement with the rest of the member base and go in the draw to win complimentary passes to the Annual Conference, an IP Valuation consultation, press coverage and more. This is all part of the KCA Research Commercialisation Awards, a trial program that we will be running in the lead up the 2014 KCA Annual Conference (18-19 September at the Brisbane Exhibition and Convention Centre).
The KCA Research Commercialisation Awards are open to all KCA members and their respective research and industry partners. The idea behind the awards is to showcase and recognise the powerful relationships and partnerships transforming our country’s cutting edge research into products and services; the majority of which improve and benefit the lives of everyone in our community, return economic value, and/or increase our nation’s competitiveness globally.
There will be two categories under which you can submit an entry: “Best Commercial Deal” and “Best Creative Engagement Strategy.”
Best Creative Engagement Strategy
Engagement must be between a research institution/their respectful commercial arm and either a public or private business/industry partner/government agency, and the project must be current (no longer than 18 months old). Submissions into this category will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- the innovative nature of the engagement strategy
- the benefits of the relationship to both the research partner and the business partner
- the desired outcome of the strategy
Best Commercial Deal
The commercial deal can be for any form of commercialisation of knowledge (licencing, spinout, consulting, contract R&D), but must have been completed no earlier than 31 March 2013. Submissions into this category evaluated on the following criteria:
- the innovative nature of the deal
- value-add of the deal to the research institution
- potential long term social and economic impact of the deal
How to Enter
- Fill out the nomination form and return it to Mel by 17 July.
- A panel of industry experts will review your nomination form and select three finalists in each category.
- Finalists will be announced on 31 July.
- Finalists will then be asked to shoot a short video (you can record it on your smart phone) or produce a short paragraph of text pitching their success to their peers to be entered into a People’s Choice Awards category.
- Video and/or text will be uploaded to this section of the KCA site and peers will be invited to vote for their favourite deal or story 1-18 September (entries will close at 5pm).
- Finalists will be invited to partake in a panel discussion as part of the KCA Annual Conference program on the afternoon of 18 September, 2014 to share some of the challenges, success and lessons learnt from their projects.
- Winners of the first two categories (as decided by the expert judging panel), as well as the People’s Choice Award, will be announced at a special dinner integrated into the format of the KCA Annual Conference on Thursday 18th September, 2014 in Brisbane (venue TBC), 6:30-10:30pm.
- Erol Harvey, MiniFab
- Debbie Bullock, PFR and Aerospace Expert
- Crowe Horwath is sponsoring an IP Valuation prize, valued at $10,000 for the winner of the Best Commercial Deal. Broadly, the winner will be invited to send Crowe Horwath a few key issues or questions relating to IP valuation and Nathan Timosevski, a Principal of in their valuations team, will travel to the winning team’s university and lead a workshop which will respond to the questions and give guidance around IP valuation techniques and issues.
- The Business Spectator Magazine is sponsoring a Press Coverage prize for both the Best Commercial Deal and the Best Engagement Strategy winners.
- Joanne Jacobs, a social media strategist is sponsoring a 1-2 hour Skype consultation for the winner of the Best Creative Engagement Strategy.
Our Media Sponsor
Aiding in supporting the implementation of the media strategy for the KCA Conference and Awards are the fantastic folk at Gemaker. This is the second year in a row that Gemaker have come on board in support of a KCA event - a big thank you to Gemaker for their continued support.